The first thing you’re probably wondering is, can dogs actually get high? Why yes, they can. Not unlike humans, dogs can get high through ingesting marijuana directly or consuming edibles. But while marijuana leaves many of us humans with a pleasant sense of euphoria and perhaps a never-ending fit of the giggles, dogs could end up with some severe effects that can even lead to death if they ingest too much of it.
Typical, less-serious signs that your dog has ingested marijuana include pacing back and forth, panting, loss of balance, or even paranoia. Symptoms will tend to show up between 30 and 60 minutes after the substance has been ingested.
Sometimes just packing away your weed securely isn’t enough to make sure that Fido doesn’t get the negative effects of marijuana. As it turns out, secondhand smoke can also be quite harmful to dogs. Inhaling causes marijuana to hit the bloodstream more quickly, so symptoms will show up faster that way than if ingested.
So how can you tell if your dog has had a little too much fun with your weed stash? There are several symptoms of marijuana poisoning that include lethargy, dilated pupils, seizures or a low heart rate. And of course, if you suspect that your dog has ingested marijuana, contact your veterinarian or Animal Poison Control right away.
Unfortunately there hasn’t been a ton of research conducted on dogs and marijuana, so we don’t have all the information yet. Some researchers even believe that a small amount of marijuana could be beneficial to dogs! But when in doubt, it’s probably better to keep your pot in a secure spot far away from your dog until more research has been conducted on the topic!